Tuesday 27 September 2011

Day Eight

Today I got in early again and so thought I would ask for my tutor's opinion on my new concept car... Well, at least I asked her advice before getting it halfway done only for her to tell me it wasn't quite right. It seems my idea is still too Fine Art and not enough Design. Back to the drawing board.

We began talking about fantasy and sci-fi, so I'm going back to one of my original ideas of looking at Syd Meads work and doing a futuristic car. Have to keep reminding myself to just stick with the design and we can maybe work on the aesthetics later. What it looks like is not so important right now, the design of the product is.

I'm more than a little worried. I think I've missed the main point of it all, and also everyone else has an idea of where they are going and are working towards that goal. We have a future fashion designer making an outfit out of cardboard, a future architect attempting to make a structural component, animation students working on models for animation... What the hell am I doing? I really believe I should have figured that out a bit more by now. Yes, I wanted to go into concept art, but what's the point when people just don't get what you're trying to convey? I get more bemused looks than amused looks and I think that's a sign to explore other avenues.

Anyway, back to college and our 3D project. I'm going to be spending the weekend looking at Syd Mead and other sci-fi vehicles, past and present concept cars, the reason for the cars, how much is design and how much is aesthetics, and so on. Maybe I'll even give some deep thought to why I'm here doing this and where I want to be by the end of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment