Tuesday 19 July 2011

Holiday Homework

Ohshitohshitohshit - Terry Pratchett

Today I received an email from college giving me my holiday homework. So now I'm thinking really hard about what to do with it. Comic based? Steampunk? Pure Fantasy?

I have at this moment decided on Life Drawing. It's a subject I really love and enjoy. I'm going to another Burlesque Life Drawing class in August so I can add to it then, and I could just sketch random people in the street or in cafe's. My only worry now is how to make it individual and interesting? How to tie all the pages together? I thought about giving the pages borders to link them.

So many thoughts! So little sleep! I shall go and lie awake in my bed all night until I come up with the answers. Until then here is the homework assignment.



Access to H.E. Creative Arts Homework for Summer 2011.

Drawing Project. It is important that you arrive at your university interview with evidence of considered and developmental drawing. I am asking you to produce a body of work on a selected subject. You decide what that subject is, although making a connection with the degree programme you wish to study is a good idea.

Go to Google images. Type in the word, Sketchbook. Collect copies of all the work you admire. You can print a few of these up and include them in your sketchbook project. Annotate alongside stating why/what you admire about the work.

Suggested topics. Fashion illustration. Character development. Typography. Still life. Landscapes. Interior space. Human condition/interaction. Abstract composition. Self. Narrative. Fantasy. Organic/mechanical/architectural form.

Rules.

  • Select a sketchbook of an appropriate size to the type of work you plan to do. Somewhere between A6 and A4. You must fill the book. No empty pages at the back. I will expect you to draw on both sides of the paper. It may be a good idea to buy a sketchbook that has between 35 – 75 pages.
  • Any medium is acceptable just remember this is a drawing project not a painting project.
  • Additional items can be included with the drawing project, e.g. photographs, annotations, materials, colour swatches and magazine cuttings, but the rule is 75% drawing and consequently, no more than 25% additional imagery.
  • The layout of the drawings, going across the middle seam, working vertically/horizontally or putting things in varying size boxes etc is up to you. I suggest you vary the scale constantly.
  • Drawings must be developmental i.e. they must show that you are trying to learn/understand something, complete a narrative, improve a skill, analyse design elements, devise the construction of something or alter the composition of self selected ideas.
  • The work should be completed by the first week of term and will contribute to a designated credit.

No comments:

Post a Comment